Hi everyone! Tomorrow is my birthday so we're going out to eat! I'm not sure where yet but I'm sure it will be somewhere good!
I am going to make some Apple Pumpkin Muffins for my family. The recipe is below.
I'll leave you with a couple recipes to try. First is Cumin-Scented White Rice. This is a great change on plain white rice and goes well with so many dishes. The other recipe is for Pierogi Chicken Lasagna. I hear this is excellent! If you love pierogis, you have to try this!
Apple Pumpkin Muffins
barriebaby (allreipes via taste of home) - OP??????
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned or cooked pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons cold butter or margarine
1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Aerin's notes: I used half whole wheat flour, half the amount of sugar (1 cup - 1/2 brown sugar, 1/2 white sugar), subed 1/2 the oil for applesauce, I added about 3 Tablespoons of ground flax, and I omitted the topping altogether. Also I grated the apple instead of chopping it.
Cumin-Scented White Rice
Michelle (MMmom) adapted from food&wine
1 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease or vegetable shortening
1 garlic clove, minced
½ -1/4 small onion, diced
½-3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat the bacon grease in a saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin and bay leaf; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, stirring to coat with the bacon grease. Add the water and salt and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, remove bay leaf and serve. Serves 5.
Pierogi Chicken Lasagna
Preparation Time: 10 Mins
Total Time: 40 Mins
Number of Servings: 4
A nice twist on classic lasagna! Try this creative version with layers of potato stuffed pasta and tender slices of white meat chicken baked in a traditional red sauce and lots of cheese.
Ingredients and Steps:
1 lb pierogies, frozen
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 (18 oz) jar spaghetti sauce
4 grilled chicken breasts, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Pour half of the sauce into a 9"x 9" casserole dish.
3. Layer pierogies over sauce and top with sliced chicken breast.
4. Pour remaining sauce over casserole and sprinkle with cheese.
5. Cover with sprayed foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes