Tomorrow is my baby brother's 19th birthday and I'm going to bring the cupcakes. I decided to go with these French Toast Cupcakes with a Maple Frosting. Then I've also included a recipe for a Ham and Gruyere Salad that I am bringing to a Cub Scout BBQ. If you can't find Gruyere, I would sub swiss cheese.
3/4 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c sugar
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
3 egg yolks
1 3/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbs maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c milk
2 Tbs milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine the butter and sugar on low speed until light and fluffy, scrape the sides as needed.
2. Add the applesauce and the egg yolks and continue to mix.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
4. In another bowl, whisk the maple syrup, vanilla, and milk.
5. Add the flour and milk mixtures alternatively to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Raise the speed and continue to mix until fully combined.
6. Put cupcake papers in a pan and fill 3/4 with batter.
7. Cook at 375 for 10-12 minutes(mini cupcakes) or 15-17 minutes(regular cupcakes) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. While they are cooking, whisk the extra egg, 2 Tbs of milk, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Once the cupcakes are done, quickly pull out of oven, and brush with the egg mixture. Place back in the oven on Broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture has dried.
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 3/4 c confectioners' sugar
2 tsp milk
3/4 tsp maple extract
1. Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping the sides as needed.
2. Reduce speed on mixer, and add the milk and maple extract. Raise the speed to high and mix until fluffy.
3. Coat cupcakes with frosting, then sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!!
Ham and Gruyere Salad
1 onion, cut into paper thin slices
2 1/2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons red or white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 pound sliced smoked ham, such as Black Forest, cut into matchstick strips
1/2 pound sliced Gruyere cheese, cut into matchstick strips
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Put the onion in a small bowl of cold water and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain the onion, rinse, and then pat dry with paper towels.
2. Meanwhile, in a large glass or stainless steel bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper (you can also add a touch of crushed garlic if you like). Add the oil slowly, whisking. Add the ham, cheese, onion, and parsley to the vinaigrette and toss.